Soaring Heights Charter School, established in 1997, is an academically high-performing K-8 public school in Jersey City, New Jersey. Managed and operated by the teachers, the school’s unique approach creates a fun and inspiring environment. Teachers develop into Teacher Managers naturally while fulfilling many of the roles, and performing many of the functions, traditionally performed by school administrators.
The mission of Soaring Heights Charter School is to prepare a growing number of students for a lifetime of learning as productive citizens in the technological age by training them how to communicate and listen effectively, think critically, solve problems, act responsibly, value their accomplishments, and achieve a high level of academic excellence. By integrating communication training into every aspect of school life, faculty and staff create a safe, open learning environment, and develop positive productive relationships among students, parents, members of the community, and themselves.
Soaring Heights has been designated a Tier 1 school by the NJDOE—the state’s highest charter school rating—and has been recognized by the US Department of Education as an ESEA Distinguished School, one of only 100 across the nation in 2018. In that same year SHCS earned recognition for Best Practices for Shared Leadership from the NJDOE Office of Charter and Renaissance Schools. The school has consistently outperformed the local school district, NJ charter schools, and the average for the State of New Jersey on state-mandated tests for more than ten years.
The ideal candidate has a number of qualifications:
- New Jersey teaching certificate or working towards one
- Commitment to serving a diverse, urban community
- Ability to build strong collegial relationships with colleagues, students, and families
- Strong communication skills and a willingness to improve them
- Dedication to improving instructional practice
- Willingness to work hard to achieve great results for students
- Willingness to grow as a teacher/manager and assume responsibilities outside the classroom
State Health Benefits Program
Extensive professional development opportunities