Friends School Mullica Hill, a Quaker day school serving students in Pre-Kindergarten through 8th Grade, seeks an enthusiastic educator to serve as part-time all-school physical education teacher and as director of the middle school athletic program for the 2021-2022 school year.
Primary responsibilities include all activities related to creating and delivering a pre-kindergarten through 8th grade physical education, health, and wellness curriculum; organizing and coordinating the after-school athletics program; and facilitating activities designed to promote physical, mental, and social development in keeping with Quaker principles.
Specific Physical Education Teacher duties include:
- designing, planning, and implementing physical education lessons that contribute to the fitness and overall well-being of each student through fundamental instruction and skill development.
- encouraging all students to appreciate the benefits of exercise as part of a healthy lifestyle.
- teaching sportsmanship and modeling supportive teamwork.
- integrating Quaker values (e.g. peace, integrity, equality) into the physical education program.
- creating and organizing all-school events such as the annual Field Day.
Specific Athletic Director duties include:
- coordinating practices and games for all interscholastic sports teams (coed soccer, coed field hockey, boys basketball, girls basketball (grades 5-8) including arranging for transportation, scheduling officials, and maintaining the athletics calendar.
- coordinating the spring sports sampler program for students in grades 4-5.
- identifying and overseeing team coaches
- ensuring that practices and games are geared toward developmentally appropriate goals including equitable participation.
- a bachelor’s degree.
- relevant experience in elementary and middle level physical education and athletics.
- a passion for working with children and adolescents and understanding of developmental needs.
- an ability to use a variety of instructional strategies to meet the needs of all ability levels.
- an appreciation for working in a small Quaker school with a diverse population.
- commitment to the creation and sustainability of an inclusive, equitable learning environment for all students.
- proficiency in the use of technology for educational and communication purposes.
- willingness to deliver curriculum and instruction in a distance learning environment if necessary.
- effective communication skills, both in person and in writing.
- completion of required background checks.
- willingness to serve on committees and interest in professional growth opportunities.
Friends School Mullica Hill is committed to building and sustaining a learning community that honors diversity, equity, and inclusivity. Applicants from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.