FAMILY LIFE ACADEMY CHARTER SCHOOL II
296 E 140th Street, Bronx, N.Y. 10454
Under the supervision of the principal and direction of the classroom teacher, teaching assistants support teachers in implementing high-quality rigorous standards-based curricula which promotes a culture of excellence and high expectations. Teaching assistants reinforce lessons presented by teachers by reviewing material with students one-on-one or in small groups. They enforce school and class rules and maintain an attractive and orderly classroom. They assist teachers with recordkeeping, such as tracking attendance and entering student data into school and network databases.
- Assists the teacher in setting up and maintaining a clean and orderly classroom.
- Under the direction of the teacher, creates and maintains bulletin board displays inside and outside the classroom.
- Works with individual children or groups of children on special instructional projects and activities, as planned by the teacher.
- Uses and promotes positive guidance and behavior management techniques.
- Communicates to the teacher observations or concerns regarding student’s academic and social-emotional progress.
- Assists teachers with keeping individual students on task during instructional activities.
- Grades assignments involving multiple-choice or unambiguous short answers, under the direction of the teacher.
- Writes individual anecdotal records that support the teacher in the planning of instructional activities.
- Assists teachers with entering data on Skedula and other data sources.
- Assumes the position of teacher in the absence of the certified classroom teacher.
- Promotes healthy eating habits of students and maintains a safe and orderly environment in the lunchroom.
- Assists teachers in the orderly transition of students at arrival and dismissal.
- Maintains a professional relationship with the assigned teacher.
- Participates in staff meetings and professional learning, as scheduled.
- Adheres to the schedule set by the administration.
-Upholds the FLACS mission, core beliefs, and educational philosophy.
-Reflects on their practice and is a lifelong learner who strives to improve instructional effectiveness and guide professional growth.
-Engages and collaborates with colleagues and the community to develop and sustain a common culture that supports high expectations for student learning.
-Creates ongoing communication with families, guardians, and caregivers to enhance student development and success.
-Demonstrates self-motivation and willingness to be a team player.
-Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree is required
-Enrollment in a teacher preparation program is preferred
-Prior experience working with elementary-aged children preferred
-New York State Certification in Level I, II or III Teaching Assistant required
-Clearance for fingerprint and criminal background check