Emblaze Academy Math Teacher
Emblaze Academy, a charter middle school located in the Bronx, invites tenacious educators to apply to the position of Middle School Math Teacher. The school is founded on the belief that all students, regardless of race, socioeconomic, status, home language, or zip code can learn and achieve at high levels when held to the highest expectations. It is our mission to ensure that all students have access to rigorous curriculum, high-quality instruction, and an invested school community that prepares them to thrive in high school and graduate from the college of their choice.
Emblaze opened in the fall of 2018 with three classes of 5th graders. Emblaze Academy has added one grade level each year since ‘18 and has grew into a complete 5th– 8th grade middle school with roughly 90 students per grade.
Teaching middle school students is hard work, and we are looking for high-capacity, energetic, detail oriented, and fun-loving individuals to join our team.
The Math Teacher will play an integral role in creating the foundation and legacy of academic rigor and a joyful school culture at Emblaze Academy. Our Math Teacher will set the bar high; provide an education that will open doors, shift mindsets, and provide opportunities for students in the Bronx; and will believe in the innate desire to learn and limitless potential of all students. The Math Teacher will teach three sections of Math each day, as well as two small group interventions or enrichment blocks, and an elective club. Teachers are responsible for collaborating with their co-teachers, instructional coach, and grade-level teams. Emblaze Academy teachers are responsible for intellectual preparation for each lesson, building strong and positive relationships with students and families, using data to tailor their instruction, and actively collaborating with colleagues.
Plan and teach three 50-minute sections of core Math content daily, including at least two 25-minute small group interventions or enrichment courses, and a 45-minute elective club.
• Plan, implement, and execute engaging and rigorous daily standards-based lessons to ensure that all students master the required content. Engage in extensive intellectual preparation for all lessons.
• Collect and analyze student data daily and create targeted, effective action plans to address student misconceptions.
• Identify students who are academically at risk and initiate effective intervention strategies.
• Consult with parents and guardians on their children’s academic and social progress.
• Meet weekly with an Instructional Coach and implement all lesson plan and classroom execution feedback.
• Prepare reports on students and activities as required by school administration.
• Work openly and collaboratively with all co-teachers, special education, ESL, and other support teachers.
• Participate actively in all Professional Development sessions, including grade-team meetings, practice-based PD, and intellectual preparation sessions.
• Reinforce school-wide rules and expectations, including consistently executing our school-wide behavior management system.
• Actively maintain student culture and reinforce school wide expectations during AM Advisory, breaks, PM Advisory, school trips, and any breakfast, lunch, or snack duties.
• Communicate frequently with parents and weekly with parents of advisees.
• Exude professionalism at all times, including professional dress and attire, meeting all deadlines, email responsiveness, and appropriate interactions with all staff members, students, families, and community members.
• Complete other tasks as directed by the Head of School.
- • Unwaveringly high expectations for all students with the belief that every child should have access to a college education.
- • Track record of quantifiable and objective student performance gains in low-income areas that surpass state or local averages.
- • Successful manager of an urban classroom who has used structure, incentives, and high expectations to drive student success.
- • Ability to work with a variety of learning abilities, including those with special needs in a heterogeneously grouped classroom setting.
- • Strength in working as part of a team. Ability to actively contribute to all grade team and content team meetings, collaborate closely with other staff members, and commit to group decisions.
- • Willingness to work hard and get better fast. Eagerness to engage with and learn from instructional coaches who provide frequent written and in-the moment coaching on instruction and to fully participate in all weekly individualized coaching meetings and professional development sessions.
- • An “all hands on deck” mentality and willingness to do whatever it takes to build and maintain an achievement-driven student culture and positive, professional staff culture.
- • Basic understanding of data analysis.
- • Professional demeanor.
- • Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred. Degrees in education or content area preferred.
- • Minimum two years of urban teaching preferred.
- • New York State teacher license/certification preferred.
Salary & Benefits
Emblaze Academy offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits.
Emblaze Academy staff will begin training and orientation in August of 2021. This exact date is TBD.
Commitment to Diversity
As an equal opportunity employer, Emblaze Academy hires without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected.