WHIN Music Community Charter School is the first school of its kind! Built on the principles of El Sistema, WHIN is a place where children learn, grow, and make music together. At WHIN, we are building a nucleo, a community where staff, families, and students work together to make a powerful shift in public education that puts learners’ needs first.
To provide our diverse student population with rigorous academic instruction, intensive music education and a positive learning environment so that every student can thrive academically and personally.
- that all children deserve a high quality education, with access to academic rigor, music creation, and a holistic approach to developing character.
- that a collaboration with families ensures the greatest success for our learners.
- that restorative justice, inquiry-based hands on learning, and authentic learning experiences provide the most effective environments for growth, success, and joy.
We are looking for staff who are…
- looking to grow and prosper in a collaborative work environment
- excited about working in a school and neighborhood where diversity is central
- interested in learning about being an educator
In action, our mission looks like caring deeply about all aspects of our young learners’ potential. We make academics a priority while also ensuring students’ character and personal growth. With music at our core, students experience working together to create something bigger than their individual skills every single day, and this approach extends to our classrooms where project-based, hands on learning cultivates curious, creative, and hardworking learners.
WHIN is currently seeking a Science Teacher who is ready to help grow a unique school community where compassion, kindness, and curiosity drive each and every day.
Specifically, the Science Teacher is responsible for:
- Creating and maintaining a fun, engaging, and inclusive classroom culture where all students love to learn for grades K-3
- Differentiating instruction to meet learners needs
- Developing, modifying, and implementing curriculum and assessments for students with diverse learning needs
- Driving academic outcomes for all students by analyzing data, differentiating instruction, and supporting each learner’s unique needs
- Contributing to the Child Study Team assessments of student needs
- Collaborating with colleagues to implement an effective science curriculum
- Implementing a music-infused science curriculum
- Inspiring students and fellow staff to perform at his or her highest potential
- Developing and maintaining strong and professional relationships with WHIN families
- Uphold all school policies within the classroom
- Attend designated school functions outside of school hours
- Attend and participate in all school/parent meetings
- Contribute to the planning and execution of all school-wide events
- Receive and implement feedback from school leaders and other staff
- Participate with enthusiasm in all school wide professional development
- Perform necessary duties including but not limited to bus, lunch, and dismissal duties
Qualifications for the Science Teacher are:
- Urban elementary teaching experience
- NYS or equivalent Elementary Education Teaching Certification (B-2 or 1-6) with coursework in science education (Special Education Certification highly preferred)
- Experience teaching science and exceptional knowledge of the Next Generation Science Standards
- Demonstrated success raising achievement levels of all students
- An unwavering belief that all students can achieve at a high level
- Proven commitment and success working with students and families
- The ability to thrive in a startup environment
- The ability to excel in a fast-paced, dynamic, and exciting school
- A sense of humor and kindness towards your colleagues
Advanced proficiency in one or more of the following areas is strongly preferred
- Bilingual (Spanish)
- Music performance
- Early Childhood teaching experience and/or certifications
- Project Based Learning and Inquiry Based Learning
- Responsive Classroom, Love & Logic Student Management, and Restorative Justice models
EEO Policy: WHIN Music Community Charter School is an equal rights and opportunity agency and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, religion, ancestry, marital status, or any other legally protected classification in its activities, educational programs, or employment practices as required by Title VI, IX, and Section 504.