Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $45,464.00 - $108,579.00 per year
- 401(k) Matching
- Dental Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Professional Development Assistance
- Retirement Plan
- Vision Insurance
Schedule: Monday to Friday
Work Remotely: Temporarily due to COVID-19
WHIN Music Community Charter School is the first school of its kind! Built on the principles of El Sistema, WHIN is a place where children learn, grow, and make music together. At WHIN, we are building a nucleo, a community where staff, families, and students work together to make a powerful shift in public education that puts learners’ needs first.
To provide our diverse student population with rigorous academic instruction, intensive music education and a positive learning environment so that every student can thrive academically and personally.
- that all children deserve a high-quality education, with access to academic rigor, music creation, and a holistic approach to developing character.
- that a collaboration with families ensures the greatest success for our learners.
- that restorative justice, inquiry-based hands on learning, and authentic learning experiences provide the most effective environments for growth, success, and joy.
We are looking for teachers who are…
- looking to grow and prosper in a collaborative work environment, including in co-taught classrooms.
- excited about teaching in a school and neighborhood where diversity is central.
- highly qualified and certified in Music Education, Special Education, English as a New Language, and/or Early Childhood Education.
We support teachers by…
- coaching and professional growth to deepen instructional practices that is facilitated by our Director of Music, Academic Directors, and Director of Special Programs
- creating Professional Learning Communities (PLCs) to address challenges and drive inquiry where teachers act as thought partners for one another
In action, our mission looks like caring deeply about all aspects of our young learners’ potential. We make academics a priority while also ensuring students’ character and personal growth. With music at our core, students experience working together to create something bigger than their individual skills every single day, and this approach extends to our classrooms where project-based, hands on learning cultivates curious, creative, and hardworking learners.
WHIN is currently seeking a high performing full-time vocal music teacher who is ready to help grow a unique school community where compassion, kindness, and curiosity drive each and every day.
Specifically, a music teacher at WHIN is responsible for:
- Supporting the Director of Music in executing a school-wide El Sistema based orchestral and vocal music curriculum
- Leading students in bi-monthly concerts and community performances
- Collaborating with colleagues to implement an effective cross-contentmodel where music enhances the learning of other classes
- Participating in ongoing professional development and teacher-led groups
- Developing and maintaining strong and professional relationships with families
- Modeling high-quality musicianship and citizenship within the WHIN community
Qualifications for the Music Teacher positions are:
- K-12 Music Teacher Certification, NYS or equivalent
- BA/BM in music education or music performance (MA/MM preferred)
- Experience in El Sistema-based music instruction is beneficial
- Minimum two years teaching elementary music in an urban school setting preferred
- Experience in concert production and conducting children’s ensembles
- Advanced vocal proficiency; understanding of vocal pedagogy; experience with children’s choir
- The ability to accompany children on piano and/or guitar
- Demonstrated success raising achievement levels of all students
- An unwavering belief that all students can achieve at a high level
- Proven commitment and success working with students and families
- The ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and exciting startup environment
- A sense of humor
Advanced proficiency or experience in one or more of the following areas is strongly preferred
- Bilingual (Spanish)
- Active participation in the New York City music-making scene
- Dalcroze, Suzuki, Orff Schulwerk, Kodály, Gordon’s Music Learning Theory, and/or Praxialism
- Responsive Classroom, Love and Logic Student Management, and/or Restorative Justice
Compensation and Benefits: WHIN Music Community Charter School offers a competitive salary and benefits, fun and professional working environment, as well as ongoing development opportunities.
EEO Policy: WHIN Music Community Charter School is an equal rights and opportunity agency and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, religion, ancestry, marital status, or any other legally protected classification in its activities, educational programs, or employment practices as required by Title VI, IX, and Section 504.